Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Rhymes of Our Lives

"I Used to Love H.E.R." by Common


The funny thing about this track is that even though it was released in 1994, I didn't actually hear it until some time around 1999 or 2000. I first heard Common on the Rawkus compilation album from 1999, Soundbombing II. His appearance on the album, a track called "1-9-9-9", was one of the stand-outs on the disc and inspired me to know more about him. Eventually, I found my way to his most recent full length record (at the time) One Day It'll All Make Sense and his legendary Resurrection album. After purchasing both and entering them into heavy rotation in my CD changer I became fascinated with "I Used to Love H.E.R.", as so many did upon its initial release. Never before had I heard such a well conceived and executed metaphor in a hip hop song, or anywhere for that matter. This song is an exquisite poetic moment.

I hope you enjoy.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment