Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Big Deal

Once again, it's past my bedtime. Tech rehearsals for The Winter's Tale are going well. Tomorrow is our preview performance, and I'm really looking forward to it!

This is what's caught my eye this evening.

from CNN.com

A fourth straight day of negotiations intended to head off a possible government default ended on a tense note Wednesday, with House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and President Barack Obama squaring off over the Republican's call for a short-term extension of the federal debt ceiling.

At one point, Obama said the political wrangling confirmed what the public considers to be the worst of Washington, according to Democratic sources familiar with the talks who spoke on condition of not being identified.

Multiple sources, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said Obama told the gathering that "this could bring my presidency down," referring to his pledge to veto any short-term extension of the debt ceiling. Sources say he vowed, "I will not yield on this."


For more, see here.

I'll only say one quick thing about this. If it's true the President walked out on the Republicans today, then more power to him. It's about time he stopped letting the Republicans maneuver him into corners time and again. And sure, I understand the political reasons for his past cave-ins, but I think he truly has the upper hand this time, and he better not let it go.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment