Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Rhymes of Our Lives (Audition Special)

I usually don't like to do "Rhymes/Lives" segments twice in one week, but this time I couldn't help it. I'm super-excited!

Tomorrow I have the pleasure and privilege of kickin' a rhyme in an audition. I've been waiting 15 years for this opportunity. He's what I've picked.


The Pharcyde - "Passing Me By"

I have an audition in the morning for a play called The Bombitty of Errors, which is a retelling of Shakespeare's The Comedy of Errors in rap verse. The audition notice requests the actors bring one comedic monologue and one hip hop verse. Now, the monologue I've been exploring for a little less than a year now; Charlie from In Arabia We'd All Be Kings. But the verse (the last one on the track by Fatlip) has lived with me for well over a decade. I remember my friend Miguel buying The Pharcyde's debut album Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde back in 1992 and playing this track like it was the only music that had ever been created. Our pre-teen brains soaked the lyrics like sponges.

By the time college rolled around, and the era of Napster, I had rediscovered this tune, eventually purchasing the album myself on CD. Needless to say it was rotated substantially during those years.

I can't wait for tomorrow. This is going to be fun!



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment