Friday, August 19, 2011

The Rhymes of Our Lives

Find some unobstructed space before you listen to this.

"Jump Around" by House of Pain


In 1992 there were two hip hop hits that emphasized an unrelenting urge to rhythmically jump whenever they were played. One was "Jump" by Atlanta duo Kris Kross; I owned the single, probably because I was in the sixth grade. The other was this incredibly dope track by House of Pain which, if I'm honest, has enjoyed a longevity of which the other jumping song could only dream.

For me, the most exciting incarnation of this song's influence occurs at every University of Wisconsin-Madison home football game. Between the third and fourth quarters, the first verse of the song is played over the sound system prompting the entire student section of the stadium (some 15-20,000 people) to jump with the music. I've never seen it in person, but I can only imagine the relentlessness of that kind of energy pulsing through the stands. One of these days, I'll have to go check it out.

One day, UW should invite House of Pain there to do it live.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment