Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Chin Check

After spending a considerable amount of editorial capital on Jay-Z and Kanye in the past week or so, a close friend reminded me of a few recent events that may have not received their fair exposure. I couldn't agree with her more.

This is a clip from BBC Newsnight involving a discussion between British historian David Starkey, British author and broadcaster Dreda Say Mitchell, and British author Owen Jones. In all the coverage I've seen and heard about the London riots, this may have been one of the most frustrating.


For more information on Mr. Starkey, see here.

I'll make this quick, because I have a research paper to continue.

It turns out David Starkey is gay, a fact I didn't know until I read more about him. I can't help but to consider what he would make of a commentator questioning the influence of "gay culture" on straight people, with some outlandish claim that stereotypes, denigrates, and marginalizes the community of Old Compton Street.

Then again after seeing this, he would probably just lick the guy's shoes.

Besides, racism in a British dialect doesn't quite do it for me. It needs that go ol' American edge for me to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment