Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Joyful Pain

I just had the privilege of hearing the most incredible guitar player I've ever physically witnessed. His name is Gary Clark Jr.

Here he is live at the Crossroads Guitar Festival of 2010 in Bridgeview, Illinois.


A few years ago I discovered and procured the complete recordings of Robert Johnson and subsequently went on to explore the work of Son House, Johnnie Shines, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, and other titans of blues. I've often wondered how it must have been growing up in Mississippi during the birth of this music. Additionally, I've frequently fantasized about the experience of attending legendary concerts like the Monterey Pop Festival and Woodstock to see Jimi play. What could that have possibly been like?

When I saw this guy play, I had an idea. If you get a chance to see him, you'll know what I mean. This cat throws down.

Check his website here.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment