Friday, January 28, 2011

Reverend Tyson

Whenever I find myself lacking in inspiration to perform or write or practice, there are a few key thoughts or ideas that usually help me get back in gear. Recent events in my professional progress have jostled me a bit and I've noticed feeling a bit weighted down. But tonight, I'm feeling somewhat rejuvenated as I've revisited the stories, thoughts, and musings of one of my current heros, Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Dr. Tyson is the director of the Hayden Planetarium inside the American Museum of Natural History in New York. He's written 11 books, including Death By Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries and The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet. He's appeared on The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, The Rachel Maddow Show, and half a dozen other television programs enlightening audiences about the fascinations of the universe. He's also the host of NOVA scienceNOW on PBS. For a full bio, check this out.

He's also one of the best storytellers of our time.

He has a way of talking about the universe with colors and textures that arrest me with interest. There's no way I'm not going to listen to what he says. He makes the most complex scientific theories refreshingly digestible without watering down their importance. But what's most important, he has fun discussing the universe with people. From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to mind people asking him questions about the cosmos. He's an educator, and he's good at.

I could go on and on about Dr. Tyson's dopeness, but I'll save that for another night. It's much better now if you have a chance to see for yourself.

So for your viewing pleasure, a bit of Dr. Tyson doing what he does. I hope you enjoy.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment