Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Rhymes of Our Lives

This is "Liberation" from OutKast's five-mic album Aquemini.


Since I have to be up at 7 a.m. tomorrow (again) I'll keep this short and sweet. I remember when I bought this album back in 1998. I had played OutKast's previous effort ATLiens like I was in search of the cure for cancer in Big Boi's lyrics, so I was primed for a new release from the dirty south duo. I eagerly slid this CD into the deck in my car and reveled in 'Kast's refreshing reinvention.

Everything was going just fine until I got to "Liberation". I was haunted by what I was hearing. Never had I witnessed a hip hop group take such risks on a record. It was impactful and mesmerizing in a whole new way.

And by the time they got to the end of Cee-lo's section, I was almost in tears. I love this song.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment