Friday, December 9, 2011

Mr. Bean

Tonight after our show, I got into a wonderful conversation with my castmate Dave about certain influential comedians throughout history. All of the greats came up; Charlie Chaplin, Peter Sellers, Buster Keaton. You know, the usual suspects. Then I mentioned to Dave my attraction to Rowan Atkinson, particularly my interest in his work in Mr. Bean. Have a look.


I remember being an eight or nine-year-old kid and watching Mr. Bean episodes on HBO with my parents. All of us would almost literally be on the floor laughing at this stuff. Rowan is an absolute master of an absurd and ridiculous brand of honesty and impoliteness. Dave said that Atkinson may be the best clown he's ever seen, primarily because he also works in the grotesque, which is an aesthetic that usually repels the audience. The ability to develop a character that is both repulsive and attractive is no small feat.

There are complete episodes of Mr. Bean on youtube (They wouldn't let me embed them!). I wholeheartedly encourage you to give them a look. Bring oxygen.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment