Sunday, September 4, 2011

Emcee of the Month: MF Doom

It was bound to happen sooner or later.


I'll have to be honest, I had very little contact with MF Doom's work for a long time. I was always aware of his talent and ability, but for some reason I just hadn't gotten around to checking out his stuff. It simply wasn't on my radar. Nevertheless, one day I consulted my homie Marcel for some Doom suggestions and he recommended I pick up Madvillainy, Doom's 2004 collaboration album with Madlib.

It was as if I had discovered a new set of colors that I didn't even know existed; like getting eardrum upgrades that allowed me to hear things I had never heard before.

MF Doom rhymes with a wonderfully bizarre and eccentric energy that is unmistakably clever and engaging. His dense and multi-colored literary style almost feels as if he builds his verses in reverse, meticulously retracing the steps through thoughts and ideas in the service of his textual discoveries. He uses really odd phrases, and words that are barely uttered in normal speech, let alone rap lyrics. And somehow, he puts it all together.

MF Doom freestyles have been difficult to find, so allow me to present an appropriate substitute.

"One Beer" from Doom's 2004 album Mm.. Food




peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment