Saturday, May 7, 2011

Emcee of the Month: Eternia


Yes, let's get the obvious stuff out of the way right now. She's a white girl. And it doesn't matter.

My homie Marcel made a quick mention of Eternia on facebook about a week ago. The only bits of info I retained from what I read was "emcee" and "Canadian" and thought, "Oh! Maybe she could be my Emcee of the Month for May since I'll be in Canada the whole time." However, to be honest I thought I'd have to fall back on k-os or Kardinal Offishall; established cats with material.

WRONG.

Lemme tell you something. This girl embodies everything pure and primal about being a rapper. She actually reminds me of all the things that were wonderful about so-called "underground" hip hop of the late nineties; passion, hunger, playfulness, humility, and sophistication. Generally, the more visible artists of that period were quite lazy and took themselves way too seriously, which put a bad taste in the mouths of many hip hop fans. Fortunately for hip hop, the Bush Administration has allowed us to rediscover our focus; just ask Questlove.

Here's an Eternia freestyle from way back in 2005. And I'm telling you, since then she's only gotten better.



This is going to be a good month.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment