Sunday, May 22, 2011

Emcee of the Month: Eternia

Here's a video of Eternia performing at the URBFresh Urban Music Showcase in Toronto back in March.



Ya girl is nice wit' it. I'm really diggin' her energy.

When I watch this video, I'm reminded of an MC Lyte/early Naughty By Nature/Blunted on Reality Fugees-era body language that was very prevalent in east coast hip hop during the early and mid-1990s. (Check out Naughty's "Feel Me Flow", MC Lyte's "I Go On", and The Fugees' "Nappy Heads".) There was most certainly a cultural emcee body during that time which was defined by lots of large hand and arm gesticulation and tons of body rockin'. Eternia has decided, whether she knows it or not, to carry this sense of rapper body into her stage performances. In many ways, I find it refreshing. I'm really big into retro hip hop bleeding its way into the current state of things, and it seems Eternia's wasn't kidding when she said she's been heavily influenced by this period of hip hop history.

I just wish she could find one place on stage to be!

Don't worry. I'll get with her and we'll work on it.



peace.


P.S. I apologize for my absence recently. In the near future I will take time to tell the full story of recent events that have occupied my time.

Nevertheless, I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment