Monday, March 14, 2011

Thoughts on Japan

Have a look at these images.


I was going to make this post about something I thought was substantive. I was going to rant about how I felt that even though the Japan earthquake/tsunami tragedy is nothing short of catastrophic, it would have been orders of magnitude worse if it happened in California, given the lack of attention that's been paid to United States infrastructure. I had planned on identifying all of the nuclear power plants in seismically active areas of the country and highlight their vulnerability. I had planned to use this event to be tough on us...again.

But after looking at these pictures and seeing the level of absolute devastation in the affected areas of Japan, all of that seems a bit frivolous now.

And it's not as if I don't believe in those things. I do. But the events occurring now in Japan are of such scope and gravity, I don't feel comfortable using them as the filter through which I may disseminate my political beliefs; not while 1,000 bodies have washed ashore in Miyagi Prefecture.

I commend the media for its coverage of the tragedy. They've conducted themselves with integrity and professionalism. I will continue to take in as much of their reporting as I can to keep myself abreast of the progressing events.

And god helps those cats at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment