Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thanks Steve

We will certainly be a bit worse off without you.


To be honest, I've always been a pc guy. I tend to enjoy their complexity and hands-on sensibility. To be even more honest, I've consistently been frustrated with the exclusivity of Apple products. They've become more of a trend than a tool these days, which would be okay if they weren't substantially overpriced. (Apple, you want to really impress me? Make an elegant iPhone for $50 retail.)

However, Steve Jobs' influence on the way we communicate to each other is immeasurable and simply can't be overstated. I remember buying my first iPod in 2006, a purchase that completely revolutionized the way I keep and listen to my music. The ability to have virtually my entire music catalog (along with pictures, videos, documents, and whatever else I can get on that thing) with me at all times is quite powerful. For all intents and purposes, I have a computer in my pocket.

Seriously. Think about that; a computer in my pocket.

In my lifetime, Apple took us from this:



to what basically amounts to this:


(For the uninitiated, that is a prop from Star Trek: The Next Generation called a tricorder.)

Steve brought the future to us, and for that I am truly thankful to have lived during his time.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment