Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nerd Moments

Oh yeah...


When it comes to movies, I'm easy. I have just as much fun watching slightly obscure, art house-type stuff like Paris, Je T'Aime or The Station Agent as I do with big time films like Transformers or Lord of the Rings. And yes, I do feel that some movies are better than others; I certainly have my favorites. But all things being equal, I can truly say that I've seen very few REALLY BAD movies. (Really. I'm watching Crocodile Dundee right now!)

And that's why I love these Marvel movies. With a few exceptions (Hulk, Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider) these things keep getting better and better. Marvel is employing very good writers and top-notch actors to tell fairly sophisticated stories that are, more often that not, well received by the public. To be honest, I can't think of very few big budget Hollywood-type films in the last decade that offer as much nuance and detail. Most are usually quite flat and predictable.

I suppose a lot of Marvel's success has to do with its source material. For over 70 years Marvel Comics has invited us into their vivid, luscious, and complex universe. During that time, we've met an abundance of unforgettable characters such as Rogue, The Hulk, Tony Stark (Iron Man), The Punisher, Jean Grey, and Wolverine. As we follow their super-human experiences, we realize how similar their stories are to our own; how super-human is really only a matter of degree. (Is that corny or what!?)

At any rate, I can't wait for this movie. I hope Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart make a cameo. That would be FRESH.



peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment